Skip to content
Flat Rate Shipping Only $6.95 on Any Order Size - and Always FREE for Club Members
Flat Rate Shipping Only $6.95 on Any Order Size - and Always FREE for Club Members

Vitamin D Deficiency Linked to Higher Incidence of Broken Bones

In what could be the largest study yet to examine the association between vitamin D deficiency and bone trauma, researchers have discovered that low levels of vitamin D are directly related to traumatic bone injuries.

The study, conducted by researchers at the University of Missouri, was presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons on February 7, 2012.

Over a 21 month period, the researchers examined the medical records of 1,830 orthopedic trauma patients and evaluated their vitamin D blood levels. They categorized the participants into three different levels:

• Deficient: below 20 ng/mL daily

• Insufficient: between 20 and 32 ng/mL daily

• Healthy: between 40 and 70 ng/mL daily

They found that 39% of the trauma patients fell into the deficient category, while 38.4% were insufficient. That means that a combined 77.4% of people suffering bone breaks at the University of Missouri trauma center were suffering from insufficient levels of vitamin D.

Vitamin D deficiency has also been linked to bone breaks that fail to heal. Based on their findings, the researchers suggested doctors should consider treating fracture patients with a vitamin D supplement to ensure they heal properly.

Dietary vitamin D can be found in milk, fortified cereals, fish, and eggs. Your body also processes vitamin D from the sun but it becomes harder for our bodies to process vitamin D as we age. A high quality vitamin D supplement is always a good option if you feel that you’re not getting enough through diet and sun.

Previous article Probiotic Blend May Help Reduce Upper Respiratory Tract Infection Symptoms

Related Posts

Moderate Consumption of Nitrate-Rich Vegetables May Help Improve Cardiovascular Health
Moderate Consumption of Nitrate-Rich Vegetables May Help Improve Cardiovascular Health
Nitrates dilate (widen or relax) the arteries and the veins not only in ...
Read More
Ashwagandha Root May Help Improve Cardiorespiratory Fitness
Ashwagandha Root May Help Improve Cardiorespiratory Fitness
Ashwagandha is a small evergreen shrub that grows in India, the Middle E...
Read More
Eating More Plant Protein and High-Quality Carbohydrates May Reduce Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
Eating More Plant Protein and High-Quality Carbohydrates May Reduce Risk of Cardiovascular Disease
Sources of plant protein include pulses, tofu, soya, tempeh, seitan, nut...
Read More
Stay up to date with Health News you can use!
×